Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens with many adults choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health. Adults around the world are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive modern orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
– A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
– Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
– Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
– Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customised to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference when treating adults or children and teens is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) – Adults have an increased likelihood when compared to children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth – Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen – Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognises that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth – Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- Mouths left untreated can get worse – Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.